Tuesday, January 16, 2007
I joined a gym last Tuesday after starting my new job at Howard/Stein-Hudson. I've been to the gym a couple times so far (last Saturday and yesterday) and plan to go again tonight. I've been using the elliptical trainer for at least 30 minutes, plus lifting weights. I was really sore on Sunday after lifting for the first time in many moons on Saturday, but it was a good kind of sore. I'm sure the soreness will get better as I do more at the gym. Thanks to Susan for helping with motivating me to get to the gym. =)
One more new donor to acknowledge:
Thanks for Joe Schirripa, a former colleague at Vollmer who is now in Florida at Lochner.
Finally, a shameless plug for another friend, Brian Paik - movie watcher extraordinaire, who is raising money to keep the Brattle Theater in Cambridge operating. The Brattle is a quaint little theater that shows all kinds of indie flicks as well as other fun stuff like Bugs Bunny cartoons, recent releases, etc. At the Brattle, you can get popcorn with REAL butter, not butter-flavored grease, to go with your movie. Below are links to Brian's donation website and to the Brattle's home page.
Brian also entertains many of us with reviews of the films he catches at the Brattle and other fine theaters in the area. Those of us "in the know" (aka on Brian's "undisclosed recipients" movie review email list) have been saying for years that he should write for some rag like the Boston Phoenix. Brian has a movie blog too, I think, but I can't readily put my hands on the link. If I find it, I'll post it later.
donate early. donate often. just do -nate.
more news later on this KBS station.
Thursday, January 04, 2007
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!
- Mike Worhunsky at The Louis Berger Group, for being the first (he even beat out Dad and Rose!)
- Dad and Rose (see - they're 2nd)
- Pat Barnes, a friend of our family for many moons
- Vito & Nancy Palombella, friends whom I met playing volleyball
- Tony DiSarcina at Howard/Stein-Hudson
- Sandy Sailer, Dad & Rose's financial advisor
- Karen Ardy at the credit union that Rose retired from just over a year ago
- Norma Knollenberg, a friend of Rose's
- Brian Paik, setter extrordinaire with the Matrix defense
- Adel Foz from Vollmer
- Nancy Gavin, another friend of Rose's
- Ocean State Signal Co. (Sue and Bill McNamara)
- Anne McKinnon at Howard/Stein-Hudson
So far, I've walked a grand total of 1 mile in training, yesterday, to and from the T to my allergy/asthma doctor's office. It was walking. Briskly. I'm counting it.
In other news, I will be leaving The Louis Berger Group after 2 years to join Howard/Stein-Hudson in Downtown Boston. Once I get settled into the new job, I plan to join a gym and get serious about training. The training regimen outlined by the 3-day folks is 24 weeks long, which means technically, I don't HAVE to start until mid-February, but I intend to start earlier so I don't kill myself. First item on the agenda is new walking sneakers.
Happy new year everyone!
more news later. keep those donations coming!